What to tell riders who teach old ideas and give bad advice?

Forums ChampU ChampU General Discussion What to tell riders who teach old ideas and give bad advice?

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 days ago by mark van Hoeij.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    mark van Hoeij

Many riders teach things that are bad advice (like “don’t brake mid-turn” or “be afraid of the front brake”). It’s kind of amazing how often one hears bad advice like this.
    Are there things we could tell these riders? (take Champ school!) or does this usually fall on deaf ears?

Alex Hatfield

Hey Mark,

It’s a bit of a mixed bag. Many of our students were those exact riders, but there are more closed minds than open, it seems.
    We’re working on helping to change the industry at the ground level through Champ U – and from within, by becoming more involved with the State Motorcycle Safety Association and partnering with new rider training programs. We’ve made some excellent progress this year on both sides of the coin, but we’re still seeing a ton of resistance from very nice people who are well-meaning, but misguided.

The best route we’ve found for approaching individuals is to simply offer to demonstrate something (such as R=MPH) or refer back to the concept of “best practices.” One of the easiest ways to help is simply point them toward our YouTube channel and have them watch 100 Points of Grip.

mark van Hoeij

Alex,

Thanks for your reply and for the work you do. Any time I hear about riders getting hurt, it breaks my heart, especially because the majority of crashes would have been avoided with what you teach.

On a positive note, I think that Champ U is making a real difference. Twenty years ago, “don’t brake while leaned over” was pretty much unanimous, and this was also true in old YouTube videos. But newer YouTube videos are quite different, and often mention Champ U, a clear sign that you are making a big difference!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.