What Are You Working On?

Forums ChampU ChampU General Discussion What Are You Working On?

• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by Alex Hatfield.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Alex Hatfield

What is everyone working on in their riding lately?

I’ve been dabbling in the dirt, trying to get a better feel for a few things (and having fun in the winter, of course!), and working in the “four wheel practice motorcycle” on moving my eyes.

Limore

Working on getting knee over all apexes in Vegas this next school on my new used ChampR6. Now that I can get off the bike and have found a new love for this old friend I got work to do to keep from old man disease slowing me down. Nick prescribed Triactin. Let’s go!

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by Limore.
    Keith Culver

Eyes,

I plan to put some slicks on the retired demo R6 this spring and do some riding for myself at speed. I know I’ll have to work on moving my eyes faster so Limore and Alex (also on new to them R6s) don’t get faster than me 🙂

Nick Ienatsch

My main focus: Don’t pass Chris Peris so fast because it demoralizes him and I hate to take another person’s joy away, time and time again.

But seriously…I’m playing with turn-in rate for longer-radius corners. I find myself turning in too quickly, getting down to the inside curb too early. Working on matching the “turn-in rate to where I want to apex” more carefully.

Murray Cook

Aside from normal riding, I have been doing a lot of parking lot practice on body position and increasing lean angle, and emergency braking in a straight line. This is the first time I’ve ever had a brand new rear tire, so I can really see how much I’m leaning and how much fresh rubber is left on the edges. I’m probably a little conservative about it, I worry about tire temperature doing slow speed parking lot stuff on cold days, and still need some better gear and sliders/protection for my bike.

John Stickney

Now that the weather is getting warmer, keeping my eyes up and looking for the safe and efficient line to take has been a big focus. I developed a bad habit years ago of looking to close to the front of the bike while riding worrying about sand or what not in the corners. Learning to trust the front (now that I know how to properly load the front tire) and keeping my eyes looking for the exit of the turn and my next decision point ahead.
    Then moving my eyes early enough from on devision point to the next – always scanning close and far ahead to keep my ride drama free.

John Menton

Hi Folks, I’ll try not to make a long story longer…
    I started riding again last March on a 2021 Triumph Street Twin after a 35 year break. My last and only bike was a ’76 Bonneville T140V. My only training till last spring was a M.O.S.T course provided by the USAF. I kept the “MC” endorsement on my license all those years just in case. I didn’t want to become a statistic so I started over with the online MSF Basic Course and the MSF Street Strategies course. I’ve been reading and re-reading Proficient Motorcycling, Total Control and Cornering Confidence. I discovered Greg Widmar and MotoJitsu on YouTube. And now I’m here at ChampU being reminded that after what I’ve learned from all those resources just how little I know and how shallow my skills are.

To get to the point, now that the weather is improving, on a regular basis I’ll be working again on the “parking lot” drills of weaves, U-turns, figure-8s, stopping etc. as described in the MotoJitsu Master Riding Program. Out riding today on back roads I focused on smooth shifting and smooth brake control. Went through a housing development with lots of stops signs and focused on coming to a stop with no front suspension rebound. For the first time I tried to really focus on what the bike felt like when applying AND releasing the brakes, same thing with rolling on and off the throttle; what the bike was actually doing. Somehow the advice to gently apply the rear brake just before the front brake was in my head. Going back and forth between front only and both I swear the bike felt a little more settled when touching the rear brake just before applying the front going into turns. And I always work on making turns that don’t need a correction in the middle. OK, now I’ll “shut up and practice” more.

Thanks for this great resource!
    John

Alex Hatfield

Sounds like a fantastic practice session!

Ruud Brand

I am off to a day at Zandvoort on Monday. The weather is forecasted to be absolutely gorgeous (don’t forget to put sunscreen on the packing list).

Two months ago I had three days in Spain after the winter, got back in the rhythm after winter.

For Monday I have planned the following:
    – session 1: work on visual skills, I always do that as it is a good warm-up
    – session 2,3,4: all focusing on the 0-5%, first the brakes, so I make sure I stay relaxed in the high braking zones, than throttle, then the steering
    – session 5: no plan yet, depends on how it goes, I like to be flexible and may adjust my plan during the day.

I will run my GoPro so I can reviewy progress afterwards and plan for the week after. Because I have another day ?

Dale_I

I’m a noob, not to riding, but to Champ U, and it really made a lot of sense for me. I’m working on braking distance and turn in rate/position. Now that my body is better positioned and telling the bike to turn, I have had to change my decision point with the new speed, deceleration, turn-in rate. All fine and dandy working on my own, but I went out with some riders and found myself consistently early on all my corners (all of it… decision point, turn in, apex) because my speed was dictated by the pack and I hadn’t made adjustments. It’s all starting to come together and I just need to get the new inputs and results set in my mind.

I caught myself not covering the front brake a lot as well. Years of bad habits to overcome…

A serious thank you for putting together this training!

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Dale_I.
    Alex Hatfield

Ruud, how did Zandvoort go?

Dale, sounds like you’re on the right path! Adjusting to change – especially if we’re trying to change years of habit – is tough, but conscious practice makes it happen!

SJ

I spend time rewatching the ChampU course, Motojitsu and Canyon Chasers. I do some reading with Total Control and Sport Riding Techniques.
    Each time out I start in nearby parking lot and practice U turns, U turn from stop, slow straight line, figure 8. I work on turns with trailbraking, downshift and body position. Its a big parking lot so its great to work on turns at speeds of 15-30 mph. I mix in emergency stops and stops without fork rebound.

I’m a rookie rider and want to improve. I really enjoy practicing to improve my skills and watching videos to improve my road strategies.
    My goal is to attend a ChampSchool this fall. I feel like I have so much to learn, that my challenge is how to breakdown my practice time.

Alex Hatfield

SJ,
    Awesome! Maximum braking is definitely something to constantly refine – never know when we’re going to need it. We’d love to have you out to a school!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.