recovering from stoppie?

Forums ChampU ChampU General Discussion recovering from stoppie?

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by mark van Hoeij.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Shay Welch

In emergency braking, it is not uncommon for the rear to lift up. But how do we recover from that. I’m assuming if it’s just a touch, then it shouldn’t be much of an issue. But, in my unfortunate experience, when it is a lot, one does not necessarily have an intuitive response. Over many years, I have been looking for a source that explains how to land the bike in this situation. And to add more difficulty, how to do so when you’re only able to use one foot to keep the bike up. I’ve only had two “accidents” even and both resulted in this. If I had known how to react, they would not have turned into accidents. To be clear, I am an acrobat and have very finely tuned body awareness and balance. But once that rear tire goes up, I just have no idea what to do aside from “tuck and roll”; I just don’t understand how to catch that much weight at one time and to keep it in a straight line.

Shay Welch

Replying to select notification, oops.

Alex Hatfield

Hi Shay,

If we’re applying enough braking force to lift the rear tire, we’re at threshold braking – we can’t continue to increase brake pressure.
    We’re left with two options: (1) continue at the current brake pressure to avoid the source of the emergency brake, or (2) release some brake pressure to lower the rear and hope to avoid the source of the emergency braking.

As long as we’re smooth with that brake lever release, we’ll lower the back end somewhat gently. You mention using only one foot. In this situation, I’d hope that your right foot would be on the right foot peg, leaving you with an available left leg. Have you watched MotoGP lately? The “Rossi Leg Dangle” would be helpful here. I personally find it tremendously helpful as a little added stability for when the rear tire comes off the ground in heavy braking zones. Play around with it (in a safe area) and see what you think!

mark van Hoeij

Unwanted stoppie: this is why it is so important to practice emergency braking at modest speed (20 mph).
    The first time my rear wheel came off the ground, it freaked me out, and as a result, I squeezed the brake even harder (the opposite of what one should do; in general, panic causes us to do the opposite of what we should do).
    The only reason that I didn’t crash is because I was practicing at low speed; the bike didn’t have enough momentum to go over the handlebars.

This is the reason to (a) practice emergency braking, and (b) start at low speeds so you don’t crash!

I think the thing to do is: make sure you’re looking straight ahead, don’t look down (this way you detect the rear wheel lift much more quickly). Then, if the rear lifts, reduce braking pressure (but don’t reduce it to 0, after all, this is emergency stopping practice).
    Don’t practice at higher speeds until you reach the point where it becomes second nature to slightly reduce brake pressure whenever the rear lifts.

If the first time the rear lifts is in a true emergency stop, well, then it’s too late for a good outcome, because in a true emergency, we’ll never do better than what we did during practice.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.