Covering the brakes

Forums ChampSchool New Riders Covering the brakes

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 weeks ago by Chris Demetriou.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Chris Demetriou
    Up
    Down

Hey y’all.

Getting into riding, covering the brakes is something I am struggling with. 1. My brake lever is too far to do this comfortably, but I understand i need to invest in the adjustable lever. I’ve seen the difference that can make.

But, 2, I feel like the positioning of two fingers over the lever and then the other two necessarily under the lever will impede my ability to fully come to a stop. This is likely in my head, right? Do you keep your hands like that if you are coming to a full stop, or do you switch quickly to all fingers on top of the brake lever.

I appreciate your thoughts,
    Chris

Alex Hatfield
    Up
    Down

Hi Chris!

(1) While adjustable brake levers are amazing, even resting a fingertip or two on top of the brake lever will be helpful here. As we roll off the throttle, our hand rolls forward and gives us a little more finger length on the lever, but even then we really want to think about braking with our fingertips. This way, we are using fine motor control to smoothly load that first 5 points and then smoothly unload that last 5 points.

(2) We never want to use all four fingers. Modern brake systems are incredibly powerful, and four fingers activates way more muscle than we need. If we’re loading the front tire before we really ask it to work under braking force, a single finger can easily be enough pressure on the lever to come to an emergency stop. Watching MotoGP, WSBK, MotoAmerica, and the like, we see many riders use one or two fingers and have enough force to lift their rear tire off the ground into a stoppie!

Chris Demetriou
    Up
    Down

Thank you! Got it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.