Welcome!! Gotta Question??

Forums Champ U Champ U General Discussion Welcome!! Gotta Question??

Tagged: 

• This topic has 89 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Keith Culver.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    Shashank Agarwal

I want some more learning on using of eyes..
      I think it’s affecting my real ability & my sense of speed..
      Plz tell me how to use my eyes
      When & Where shld i look
      Before enetering into the corner

When i turn my head & see any point of corner too early, my bike starts moving to that direction early
      When i see it late i get into panic mode.I forget doing all trailbraking stuffs..

Plz guide me…

José Carlos Pascacio Villegas

HELLO! GREETING FROM MEXICO , WANT TO SINCERILY THANK YOU ALL FOR THE CORE CURRICULUM. HOPE TOP GET ENROLLED IN THYE NEW TRAFFIC SURVIVAL. LET ME\AKE RIDING SAFER!

José Carlos Pascacio Villegas

HELLO! GREETINGS FROM MEXICO , WANT TO SINCERILY THANK YOU ALL FOR THE CORE CURRICULUM. HOPE TOP GET ENROLLED IN THYE NEW TRAFFIC SURVIVAL. LET ME\AKE RIDING SAFER!

Brian Beal

I just finished my first time through ChampU yesterday. I plan on going through it at least a few more times. Not sure I can even say I am a new rider as I don’t even have a motorcycle or my license yet. I plan on getting it in the next year or so.

My plan is to start with Too Cool Motorcycle School in nearby Calgary where the lead instructor is Trevor Dech who I believe is a graduate of your school. It is through TCMS that I learned about YCRS and I think you can expect to see me there in the next half dozen years at your Arizona site. I am stoked about meeting you and learning from you.

I am 54 y.o. with a wife and 4 kids between the ages of 10 and 16 so life is a little busy. Call it what you will, mid-life crisis or whatever, but I finally decided to become intentional about getting a motorcycle. So I’m saving up money and investing some time into researching and learning. Currently reading Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough.

My favourite motorcycles are Yamahas, Triumphs and Kawasakis, particularly the sporty end of things. I think my ideal first bike to learn on would be the MT-03.

Anyway, just thought I would introduce myself. I just stumbled upon the forum section of your site yesterday so it will become another valuable source of information moving forward.

Thanks so much!
            Brian Beal

Jonathon Mellows

Hi Chris
              Thanks for the welcome
              I have a question regarding 100mm of travel.
              We talk about 100 mm on a fork that has 125 mm total travel.
              So, mathematically(sorry😉),
              100/125=4/5=80%
              Is it fair to say around 80% brake pressure at turn in is a sweet spot discounting variables of course
              Any feedback is appreciated
              Jon,
              Wollongong,
              Australia

Keith Culver

Jon,

You are correct to say roughly 80% of fork travel used is a “happy” place for those Yamaha racers referred to in our ChampSchool class.

How much brake pressure for a given bike, tires, and traction level to achieve that happy place will be different for each scenario. The point of the lesson is to say that we, as the onboard engineers (riders), have full control to find the sweet spot for the bike we are riding using the front brake. The reference to factory Yamaha and the 100mm is to show the importance of using our brakes to find the sweet spot for our bike.

Much like the 100% of grip, it is variable depending on the degree of application.

Hope this clears it up a bit.

Willie Viarnes

Wondering if you could address crosswinds and how to deal with them

Keith Culver

Willie, How’s this;

https://www.cycleworld.com/wind-guts-motorcycle-and-high-winds/

This is a full write-up from our Jedi Master, Nick Ienatsch on this very subject!

– Keith Culver

Brian Beal

Keith, I was recently riveted by your experience of Munich to Mugello. I was sharing with my wife how you were experiencing “epic moment” after “epic moment”. Your passion was oozing through your story and rubbing off on me and I began thinking how I would love to experience something like that some day. As I posted recently I am at the very beginning of my motorcycle journey. So my question to you is, could you roughly lay out a timeline/plan of how I could get from point A to point B where I would become proficient enough to confidently tackle a trip like that and enjoy it as thoroughly as you did?

Much appreciated,

Brian

Oh and Merry Christmas to you!

Paul Bennett

In the Traffic Survival Course, we were advised to use the right lane (Innocent Lane) for our commute and the left lane for passing when on a 2-lane freeway. However, I’m wondering if this advice still applies to large 4 or 5 lane Interstate freeways. Should we ride in the #4 lane (Innocent) and use the others to pass, or would it be safer to use the #2 or #3 lane and use the #4 lane for passing? I’m curious to know which option is considered the safest.

Pieter van Rijn

So when it comes to downshifting am I staying on the front brake as I go down? I have this habit of pulling the brakes in and letting them out as I switch into lower gear. Thanks

stefan durant

are new tires bad?

Keith Culver

Stefan,

Could you clarify your question? The simple answer would be no but some context might help us better help you.

Keith

stefan durant

during your new rider course, it was mentioned a few times that there are issues with new tires, and issues with worn tires. what would be the issue with a new tire (I’m considering putting on new tires)

Keith Culver

Ah, a new tire can often be slippery until it gets a few laps or miles on it. THis was more in years past when they used to come coated for shipping purposes and it is less of an issue in the modern era. But we are old school so we think its smart to just go easy for the first few miles.

Coincidentally, worn-out tires do not have the same level of grip as well.

Also, cold tires will never have the same level of grip as warm tires.

So we tell all of our students to put this into their plans before they ride: “Before I ride, I have a plan.”

“Are my tires new?” “Are my tires old?” “Did I check my tire pressure?” “Is it cold outside?”

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.