Rev Matching; to blip or not to blip

Forums Introductions and General Motorcycle Chat General Motorcycle Discussion Rev Matching; to blip or not to blip

• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks ago by MrPC.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Rachel Robison

It is my understanding that the goal of blipping the throttle when downshifting is to rev match, since rev matching keeps the bike stable and therefore results in better handling and traction. If the recommended order of operations is: break, clutch, down shift, blip throttle, let out clutch why is this preferred to break, clutch, down shift, throttle to rev match, and let out clutch? If the goal is rev matching, then why not match it with the throttle while letting out the clutch? What is the benefit of bilpping the throttle, and then getting back on the throttle while letting out the clutch? The Champ U online videos talk much about smoothness, and in driving both a (manual transmission) car and a motorcycle, if you rev match your throttle WHILE letting out the clutch, it engages smoothly. So, what exactly is the benefit of a blip of the throttle beyond just rev matching? Thanks!

MrPC

To spin the engine up so when the clutch is released, the engine is already spinning at the same speed as the wheels for the speed/gear you are using. It reduces the (possibly abrupt) effect of engine braking on weight transfer… It moves weight to the front wheel more smoothly. Thats a good thing especially as you are braking at the same time. Also helps the rear from locking up under hard braking. In short it helps the bike to remain stable.

It is cool too!

Jonathan Miller

I’m not understanding how just matching it with by opening the throttle while letting out the clutch doesn’t do the same thing. Please explain.

z948rs

It’s a timing thing. The whole process takes a split second when done correctly. A correctly-timed blip with the proper amount of throttle will rev match as intended. That’s the whole purpose of it. Don’t over-think it, just practice the process and you’ll understand.

If you let out the clutch without blipping, the engine will have to catch up with the rear wheel. Some say that’s a better way to go, but I disagree. If you don’t have a slipper clutch and you let out the clutch too quickly you could potentially get yourself in trouble if the difference is too great, causing the rear wheel to lose grip while the engine is coming up to speed.

And like MrPC said, blipping sounds cool.

MrPC

Jonathan, If I understand your question properly, I don’t think the throttle should be open when at the same time as the clutch is released because you are slowing the bike down… The goal is to get the engine spinning at the same speed as the rear wheel (in the lower gear) when you let the clutch out you then apply throttle when its needed. Otherwise, the engine will be at idle and almost certainly spinning to slowly for the rear wheel. As said previously try not to over think it, practise it and when you get it you will notice the difference.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by MrPC.
            Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.