After taking the course

Forums ChampU ChampU Feedback After taking the course

Tagged: 

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 months ago by Nick Ienatsch.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Santolo Tubelli

Hello and greetings from Italy!

I went aware of your school some months ago, looking for some material about riding technique, braking in particular, that brought me to Nick Ienatsch’s blog posts on Cycle World and his book. All the subjects about smoothness in first place, the braking made very simple (trail braking seems very scaring to me before I learned how many braking points are needed to be effective) got my attention. Too far, unfortunately, to have the course in person, but it was so great that you released the online course, so I bought it, and… great job!

After some months of practicing I started to feel safer, better in control of my Fazer 800 and more aware of what the bike and the tires are telling to me. Furthermore, riding by direction and be adjustable using the brakes instead of ride by turning point and apex (on the street) made things easier, with more attention available for the road instead of planning the “perfect line” in advance.

The material is well explained and easy to understand also for a non english speaker, drills are easy and safe to practice in every situation (too good that they can be practiced in a car too).
    Just a friendly note about car drills, the “scanning back with the eyes” I wish I could have seen it earlier in the course because after understanding how to properly use the eyes most of the techniques feel easier to learn, I can see further without feeling lost and gain better brakes gauge, early throttle and less steering correction.

Still I have a lot to learn and practice, but too good to have a proper path to follow.

Finally, I have a questions about the body position: you say to load palms instead of gripping the tank with knees while braking, it’s the same also for street riding while moving only upper body? I have a very slippery seat, gripping the tank a lot seems more effective, but I don’t always remember to do it properly, loading palm feels more natural, but under braking I’m unable to release tension from the outside arm, and steering suffer at turn entry. What do you suggest?

Again, a big thank you for the great job, I will recommend this to all my biker friends!

Alex Hatfield

Hi Santolo!

First, thanks for the feedback! We’re thrilled that you’ve enjoyed the course and I’ll ask the guys about the eyes drills and what we can do to make them appear sooner.

Second, we don’t need to grip the tank under braking. Weight will naturally transfer to our hands, we just need to remember to reduce that weight as we tip in. One way we do that: activate our core muscles! Here’s a drill to help you:

Stand up, place your feet shoulder-width apart. Imagine yourself coming into a left-hand turn.
    Raise your right knee until you can touch the inside of your knee with your right hand (without bending over).
    Place your right hand on the inside of the right knee.
    Drive your right knee toward your left knee, using that right hand as resistance.
    You should feel your core muscles tighten.

Whenever you tip into a corner, try driving that outside knee against the tank and activating those muscles. You should feel the weight in your hands release, which will allow that steering head to swing back around and turn the motorcycle.

Santolo Tubelli

I Alex!

Thanks for the drill, I’m taking some time to practice and now is much better.

An issue that I still facing is when pushed forward (for example on the brakes or downhill), the time I squeeze my leg into the tank and my arms relax, my butt slide forward on the seat and I end up in an unnatural position.
    I suspect that it is due to the timing of the leg or not enough strength in the initial movement, I still practicing, but if you have any suggestion it would be very welcome.

Thanks again for your time!

Nick Ienatsch

Hello Santolo…I believe you are wondering, “Do I need really big arms, like Nick?” NO!!! You don’t need these big arms Santolo! These are just for me to enjoy looking in the mirror!

Sounds like you are experimenting with allowing braking loads to go into your arms…good…let’s fine-tune: Make sure your elbows are not straight/locked. Make sure you are sitting up, not tucked in. Make sure the load is into your palms and that your fingers are relaxed.

As we get to the turn-in point, we want to do a bit of counter-steering and also move our heads slightly to the inside. Remember that by the time we arrive at the turn-in point, we are (ideally) done with the heaviest braking and have given back some “braking points” because we are about to add “lean angle points”. If you still feel heavily-loaded at the turn-in point, you are braking too late.

Thanks for spreading the word in Italy and say hello to Valentino for us!!!!!! -Nick I.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.